Post by Pamela Hernandez
It’s summer time in the Ozarks. It’s hot and humid. Workouts outside are sweat-drenching affairs, best done early in the morning if you can. The humidity can seep indoors as well. Despite cranking up the AC, the windows were “crying” with condensation at the studio on a recent morning.
These conditions don't stop the committed athlete. But that doesn’t mean we don't need a little push to keep us going. That’s when we need a power song.
You have a power song, right? The one that makes you dig deep. The one that makes you feel like you can do anything. The one that makes you feel a little bit like a badass.
I’ve got a playlist of power songs for you. Crank it up on the last miles of your long run or that finisher of jumps squats and burpees.
What’s your power song?
- I Don't Care Anymore by Phil Collins: Recommendation from my Facebook friend Amy. Thank you!
- Eye of the Tiger by Survivor: Nike says this is their top ranked power song.
- Don't Stop Believin' by Journey: The movie Rock of Ages almost ruined this one for me.
- November Rain by Guns N' Roses: Thanks to my IRL friend Tom for this one. No one does a guitar solo crescendo like Slash.
- Bawitdaba by Kid Rock: When they play this one before a basketball game I get chills.
- Panic Station by Muse: They seem to excel at power songs.
- One Step At A Time by Four Year Strong: Don't worry about the next mile, just focus on this step and this moment.
- People Like Us by Kelly Clarkson: We are a special breed, aren’t we?
- Let's Go by Calvin Harris (featuring Ne-Yo): Get moving, let’s go!
- Fighter by Christina Aguilera: Throwing elbows as I run. I am sure passersby think I am crazy.
Posted on August 5th, 2013