It’s summer time in the Ozarks. It’s hot and humid. Workouts outside are sweat-drenching affairs, best done early in the morning if you can. The humidity can seep indoors as well. Despite cranking up the AC, the windows were “crying” with condensation at the studio on a recent morning.
These conditions don’t stop the committed athlete. But that doesn’t mean we don’t need a little push to keep us going. That’s when we need a power song.
You have a power song, right? The one that makes you dig deep. The one that makes you feel like you can do anything. The one that makes you feel a little bit like a badass.
I’ve got a playlist of power songs for you. Crank it up on the last miles of your long run or that finisher of jumps squats and burpees.
What’s your power song?
- I Don’t Care Anymoreby Phil Collins: Recommendation from my Facebook friend Amy. Thank you!
- Eye of the Tigerby Survivor: Nike says this is their top ranked power song.
- Don’t Stop Believin’by Journey: The movie Rock of Ages almost ruined this one for me.
- November Rainby Guns N’ Roses: Thanks to my IRL friend Tom for this one. No one does a guitar solo crescendo like Slash.
- Bawitdababy Kid Rock: When they play this one before a basketball game I get chills.
- Panic Stationby Muse: They seem to excel at power songs.
- One Step At A Timeby Four Year Strong: Don’t worry about the next mile, just focus on this step and this moment.
- People Like Usby Kelly Clarkson: We are a special breed, aren’t we?
- Let’s Goby Calvin Harris(featuring Ne-Yo): Get moving, let’s go!
- Fighterby Christina Aguilera: Throwing elbows as I run. I am sure passersby think I am crazy.