I was listening to one of my favorite non-fitness podcasts, Pop Culture Happy Hour, when inspiration struck for this month’s playlist.
The topic, after they discussed the nature of Suspense, was covers. Particularly covers they wished would occur, their fantasy remakes and ones that much to their joy had actually occurred. They shared some amazing finds from the Violent Femmes and William Shatner. There was an awful (in a good way) version of Mae West singing “Twist and Shout”. I was laughing so hard it I didn’t know if I was going to make it through my sprint intervals.
For this month’s playlist I’ve got some covers that are more workout friendly so you can save your breath for cranking up your intensity. If you do want a good laugh, however, I suggest checking out their podcast or the album When Pigs Fly: Songs You Never Thought You Would Hear.
- It’s My Life by No Doubt: Always on the fence about whether I like this one or the original better. Both have their merits. Discuss.
- Roadrunner USA by Joan Jett: It has been way too long since my last Joan Jett concert. That is a priority as soon as it gets warm again and she hits the outdoor festival circuit.
- Suzy is a Headbanger by L7: Can’t do better than the Ramones.
- Immigrant Song by Trent Reznor: Love everything about The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.
- Personal Jesus by Marilyn Manson: Am I out of the loop or has he sort of disappeared from the music scene? It’s a shame because despite the oddness he’s actually very talented.
- Rebel Yell by Drowning Pool: I used to think this song was sooooo scandalous! Oh how times have changed.
- Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm: I was annoyed by this cover at first but this one hit wonder sort of grew on me.
- Somebody’s Watching Me by Raunchy: Speaking of MJ, I used to think the original was MJ. Ooops, sorry Rockwell.
- Rumour Has It / Someone Like You from Glee: Going to Glee is kind of cheating, I know. But this is actually a really good song. And this episode of Glee made me really sad.
- Rock And Roll by Heart: Second Zeppelin cover on the list. Thank goodness I don’t know of any Stairway to Heaven covers.
What’s your favorite cover song to run or lift to?