A very merry Christmas to you!
I hope you’re spending time this week with family, either the one you were born into or the one you’ve made.
So you have more time to enjoy the togetherness, I just wanted to share a quick two ingredient breakfast recipe with you. An egg baked in an avocado is one of my favorite quick dishes. It can easily make brunch for a bunch or breakfast for one (if they all sleep till 9 and you’re hungry at 6 am).
The potassium, healthy fat and fiber in the avocado along with the protein and B vitamins in the egg are a powerful combination to start your day. It will make a nice balance to the extra sugar cookies you might have indulged in over the weekend. Make a pot of breakfast tea and catch up with your sister while breakfast almost takes care of itself.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- If you’re making this dish for just you, cut one avocado in half. Keep the pit in the half you aren’t using, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for another use. If you’re cooking for a group, cut has many avocados as you need so that each person has a half. Remove the pit. If the pit is small, scoop out a bit more to make a hole for the egg.
- Do not remove the avocado skin. On the backside of the avocado, cut off a small slice to create a flat bottom. This will allow the avocado to sit in the ramekin, pie plate or glass baking dish.
- Place avocado(s) in oven safe ramekins, a pie plate or glass baking dish flat side down.
- Crack an egg into each open avocado pit.
- Place avocado(s) in the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, till the egg is cooked to the desired level.
Once out of the oven you can serve your avocado with just a little pepper and salt. Or you can also dress it up a bit with herbs like fresh cilantro or chives. Salsa or Siracha make great on toppings as well. If it’s your own breakfast feel free to eat straight from the ramekin with a side of toast. If you’re making brunch and really want to impress your guests, plate the avocado with a side of fresh fruit or a simple green salad. Serve and enjoy immediately!
Don’t forget to take advantage of my gift to you! The 12 Days of Fitmas is still happening. Sign up here for 12 days of flexible and fun workouts plus nutrition tips to help you finish 2017 strong!