When I started my fitness journey the weight room was my salvation. It was my place to relieve the stress of a full day of work and school. I would find myself in the gym after night class just focusing on my breath and the muscle I was using. It was a form of meditation for me before I even knew what meditation was. I loved Sunday morning workouts when the gym would be empty. It was just me and my music, ready to forget the week.
I still have stress in my life, perhaps even more than I did then. I still look to my workouts and my music as way to release the pressure and connect with my breathing. Lifting weights helps me block out the world and a long(ish) run helps me sort through the big questions of life. The right soundtrack can give me a boost of positive reinforcement, the strength to stand my ground and a way to vent without taking it out on anyone else.
This workout playlist is for those days where going to the gym is your therapy session. Get it all out in the weight room and (hopefully) leave a happier person.
- We’re Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister: You have to know your boundaries. If you don’t, you’ll never know when anyone has crossed them.
- So What by Pink: Yup, still a rock star.
- F**k You by Lily Allen: My mom reads my blog. The stars are mine. Don’t say you weren’t warned.
- Breakin’ Dishes by Rhianna: Before I discovered a healthier outlet, I might have broken a thing or two.
- Hollaback Girl by Gwen Stefani: I wasn’t a cheerleader but I can relate.
- Fighter by Christina Aguilera: The challenges make you stronger. Embrace them.
- Chaos by Tove Styrke: I love the gym because everything there makes sense. There is no chaos with a dumbbell in hand.
- Shut Up and Let Me Go by The Tings Tings: Sometimes it’s best to be alone
- Don’t Stop Believin’ by Journey: After a workout, I always feel more hopeful.
- Family Affair by Mary J Blige: No more drama!
Follow Pamela on Spotify: