The last rule of gym etiquette may be the most important one. It is the key to making the gym experience a pleasant one for yourself and others. It keeps everyone healthy and safe.
Rule # 4 Clean up after yourself.
Your mother doesn’t work at the gym. Therefore it is necessary for you to take responsibility for your space and your toys. Don’t worry, someone else will take care of the heavy-duty stuff, like vacuuming, but it’s up to you to make sure the little things are attended to.
- Put your weights away. Leaving dumbbells lying around makes it harder for others to do the work they need to do. Leaving your plates on the bar takes away time (and perhaps much needed energy) from someone else’s workout.
- Wipe down the bench (seats, treadmill handles, whatever you touch). No one wants to sit in a pool of your sweat. No one wants your germs left behind.
- Stay home when you are sick. Speaking of germs, don’t spread them by coming to the gym with the flu or a stomach virus. You’re just infecting others and perhaps delaying your own recovery.
- Leave your make up, clothes and accessories spread out all over while you shower. Others may need to get to the locker(s) you’re blocking. Be kind and keep your stuff in your locker.
- Keep your Kleenex in the water cup of the treadmill. This is just gross. Besides if you’re sick stay home!
- Leave trash behind in your locker. After all it’s not really “your locker”. Someone else is going to use it after you. They don’t want to dispose of your worn out socks or Kleenex.
- Forget to bring a towel. If you know you sweat a lot, be proactive and bring a towel with you. Just be sure to wipe down with a sanitizing wipe when you are done as well.
Anyone got a “I can’t believe they did that” gym etiquette story? Any rules you think I missed?