I spend a lot of time listening to NPR.
I like listening to Morning Edition on the way to the studio to catch up on global news and events. On Saturdays, I listen to Car Talk for a good laugh. Friday nights I listen to All Songs Considered as I drive home from my last session.
Recently they decided to do a Best of the 90s show. I was having so much fun listening I didn’t want to take the time to get out of the car. The 90s, after all, had everything. It was the tail end of the hair band era and the beginning of grunge and “alternative” rock. Pop and dance were always in the background.
Here’s my workout playlist that I dub the Best of My 90s.
- Bitchby Meredith Brooks: It may not be the best term but I totally get what she was trying to say.
- California Loveby 2Pac: Before I was fit and healthy, I spent way too many nights out dancing. This reminds me of summer nights on the back patio of my favorite spot.
- Smells Like Teen Spiritby Nirvana: It was all over for hair bands when Nevermind came out.
- Lumpby The Presidents of the United States: You just have a need to get crazy when this song comes on.
- Buddy Hollyby Weezer: One of my favorite videos. I loved Happy Days as a kid.
- Are You Gonna Go My Wayby Lenny Kravitz: One of the most rocking’ bodies in music, hands down.
- You Could Be Mineby Guns N’ Roses: This could also be on a summer movie playlist. Do you know which movie this was from?
- Dirty Deedsby Joan Jett: She’s still rocking and I still love her.
- Sabotageby The Beastie Boys: Rest in peace MCA.
- Gett Offby Prince: He won’t perform this song anymore. Yes it’s adults only and I love it.