Ready for another exercise DVD review? It has been awhile since my last one, but I finally found another video I wanted to give a try.
This time it is Power Circuit Training with Jackie Warner. Jackie Warner is a trainer to the stars and the star of the reality show Work Out on Bravo. She also has a book out called This Is Why You’re Fat, which I am dying to read. Just the title alone makes me want to pick it up. I see another review in the future.
Back to the DVD. This is a resistance training workout done at a fast pace to work your muscles and get your heart rate up at the same time. My kind of workout. You can choose a long full body program (40 minutes) or a short full body program (15 minutes) as well as short upper body, lower body or abs workouts. I actually have used this DVD twice, the first time doing the short full body and abs and the second time the upper and lower body programs.
Here is what I liked:
- You are working those muscles! You need at least one pair of dumbbells, two is ideal. You will feel a muscle burn.
- You don’t have time to get bored. You’re doing multiple exercises in a circuit fashion quickly. The 15 minutes is up before you know it.
- You can do a full body workout in 15 minutes. Not ideal, but if you are pressed for time it would be great.
And what I didn’t like:
- The cool down was too short for me. I really like to stretch everything. I skipped hers and I did my own.
- If you do the short full body workout there isn’t a lot of instruction on form. If you’ve never done a dead lift before and you do them with bad form at her pace you will hurt yourself. Beginners beware.
- I didn’t like the full sit ups in the abs workout. I worry, again, about beginners doing full sit ups with weights. They are hard on the body and, again, there is a risk of injury.
I really liked this workout. Good variety which made it go quickly. I’m a fan of efficiency and this was one efficient workout. I give this a rating of 7, with a word of caution to beginners. Anyone else checked out this DVD and want to share their thoughts?