Cooking does not have to be a big production. Foods in their simplest form often are the best for us and taste the best too. Sandwiches are great for dinner. Soups can go in a cup for lunch. Breakfast, however, in my opinion is the easiest meal of the day. It’s so easy you can really eat it any time of day.
One of the easiest breakfast dishes to cook is steel cut outs. Really. I’ve found a full proof method that takes just minutes. Then the possibilities are endless when it comes to toppings and flavor combinations.
It does take a wee bit of planning. This process starts the night before when you take ¼ cup steel cut oats and ½ cup of your liquid of choice (I normally use just water) and combine them in a glass dish with a lid. Place in the refrigerator and – ta-dah! – you have wonderfully chewy oats in the morning. If you want them warm, simply put in the microwave for 30 – 45 seconds.
Here are some flavor combos to jazz up this quick and easy meal. (One I sometimes eat for dinner!)
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder and 1 tbsp milled flax. This is my go-to combo. Then I have a banana or some baby carrots on the side.
- 2 tbsp PB2 and ½ banana, sliced. Make it really yummy by heating it after adding the PB and banana.
- ½ cup blueberries, 1 tbsp walnuts and some cinnamon. Kind of like a blueberry muffin in your bowl.
- 1/8 cup pumpkin puree, 1/8 cup almonds and ½ tsp pumpkin spice. Hello fall!
- Use coconut milk instead of water, then add 1/8 cup dried pineapple, 1 tsp unsweetened coconut and 1 scoop vanilla protein powder.
How about you? How do you dress up your morning oats?