When it comes to nutrition, there are 3 questions I always get as a personal trainer:
- Is soda really that bad for you? (Yes, it is.)
- What do you eat? (I’m at a different place than you are. You’re welcome to check out my food log on Dailyburn but I promise you won’t like it.)
- Are protein bars okay?
That depends on the protein bar and what you mean by “okay”.
Protein bars can be a great quick and easy snack. They fit in a desk drawer, backpack or purse. They can be a lifesaver when you’re on the go like I am. They, however, should not be a replacement for real food. You should not live off protein shakes and bars.
And some protein bars are really just glorified candy bars: high in sugar without an adequate amount of protein. Or if they are low in sugar it’s due to artificial sweeteners like maltitol, which can cause some serious digestive issues making you (and potentially those around you) very uncomfortable.
I’m always looking for good protein bars to recommend to my clients. Recently, I discovered another winner-NuGo Slim.
NuGo makes a variety of bars but the NuGo Slim caught my attention for 4 reasons:
- 15 grams for protein- 5-6 grams more than my next favorite bar, Luna.
- 2 grams of sugar-it’s real sugar too, but not too much.
- 9 grams of fiber-combined with the 15 grams of protein, this bar will keep you feeling fuller longer
- Dark Chocolate-even I occasionally need a chocolate fix. All 3 varieties that I tried were dark chocolate dipped and they all tasted amazing.
Where I live, these bars are hard to find (anyone near a Whole Foods can pick them up there), however you can order them online for a good price from AllStar Health (my favorite place for protein shakes and vitamins).
Or you can win a box filled with all 3 varieties: Raspberry Truffle, Roasted Peanut and Dark Brownie Crunch. Just leave a comment on this blog post telling me your experience with protein bars. Do you like them? Have you had some awful ones? Or is there a really good one you love? Maybe your own recipe? This contest is open to the continental United State only. One entry per person and winner will be drawn at random. Comments must be posted by 10 pm CT on January 25, 2012. There will be one winner, hope it’s you!