I had the best time earlier this month! I went to the Lilith Fair show in Kansas City. Although it’s been 10 years since the Lilith Fair tour last occurred, it was like stepping back to another moment in time. Sarah McLachlan and company create a wonderful energy and it truly is a celebration of women and what we can achieve.
You know my BB King picture, my moment of fitness clarity photo? That picture was taken on the way back from a Lilith Fair show in Nashville on the first year of the tour, 1997. I am actually wearing the T-shirt I bought at the show. I still have it. It fits much differently today than it did then.
In honor of their efforts, this month’s playlist is dedicated to Lilith Fair past and present. Anyone else catch the tour this year?
- Sweet Child O’ Mine by Sheryl Crow: Love this version of a song already near to my heart.
- Ladies First by Queen Latifah: She’s been more jazz these days, but I like her old school.
- Sin Wagon by Dixie Chicks: Probably the only time you will see a country song on a playlist.
- Gimme Sympathy by Metric: This was the first time I had heard this group. They were so cool!
- Standing In The Way Of Control by Gossip (Le Tigre remix): My friend Shawna recommended this one. She has good taste in music.
- If Looks Could Kill by Heart: Sadly, they didn’t do this song. It is one of my favorites so I had to include it. They stole the show for sure!
- Hazy Shade Of Winter by The Bangles: Wish they had been on the KC stop.
- Legend of a Cowgirl by Imani Coppola: One hit wonder, but this song always makes me think of Even Cowgirls Get the Blues.
- Naked Eye by Luscious Jackson: I almost forgot they did the original tour till I saw them on a T-shirt. It gave me a good excuse to add this fun song.
- Possession by Sarah McLachlan: Sarah always caps of the show and this is my favorite. Hats off to all her efforts in making such a wonderful show happen.