One of my favorite parts of the day is when I get to kick back with the Ellen DeGeneres show. I think it’s one of the best shows out there and it teaches us something very important – the value of dance. The audience always dances before the show starts to “loosen things up” and then Ellen takes a dance break through the crowd to get everyone going before the guests come out.
I think the dance break is a fantastic fitness tool. Anyone who sits at a desk all day should not be afraid to get up and take 5 when their favorite song comes on the radio. If you do this 4 times a day you’ve already built up 15-20 minutes of activity. I work at home so the only person who sees me is my cat but if you work in an office get your cube buddies involved. Not only will you get a brief workout but you’ll probably have a few good laughs too.
This month’s playlist is music I’ve heard while watching Ellen. Some are songs she likes to dance to; others are from musical guests or theme songs for her wacky games. Try them out this month to change up your workout routine. Or just put them on and dance the day way.
Tony, make me dance!
- California Loveby 2pac– Good for easing into cardio or weights. Let the warm up begin!
- I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)by Pitbull– Did you see the awesome routine Ellen did? No question that was a good workout.
- SexyBackby Justin Timberlake– Instead of bringing a sexy style back, I like to think of it as building those muscles for a sexy back for the summer.
- Poker Faceby Lady GaGa– She’s everywhere. I resisted, but I can resist no more.
- Jai Ho! (You Are My Destiny)by The Pussycat Dolls– Sorry, they will probably be on my playlists for awhile. They make great workout tunes!
- I Like To Move Itby Will.I.Am– This song sticks in my head and won’t leave. It could be worse.
- I Gotta Feelingby Black Eyed Peas– One of my favorite dance break songs. It’s on the radio all the time!
- Temperatureby Sean Paul– Normally not a fan, but I like this one.
- Give It 2 Meby Madonna– I could make a whole list of just Madonna. Her music motivates and her body inspires.
- The Way I Areby Timbaland– I think Timbaland makes more than one appearance on this list. I bet he will be back again.