Music has always been a big part of my life. I can hear a certain song and be transported back through space to a very specific time or event in my life. Music has always been a big motivator as well. If I needed courage or had to get myself “psyched” up for something, I have always had some special songs I would play for such occasions.
I admit I have a very hard time working out without music. I need it to keep me going. I have some great songs that push me forward one more mile or one more rep when I don’t think I can go on any longer. From time to time I do get bored with my playlist, so I go through our extensive music collection choosing “new” songs. I love my old favorites, but the problem is it doesn’t give me anything really fresh to add to my playlist. How do you find great music to work out to?
It is with that sentiment that I kick off the Monthly Music Mix. My mission is to give you a 10 song playlist every month. I can’t promise it will all be new music. In fact, today’s inaugural list is from my personal favorites that I love to listen to when doing my cardio workouts. Some of them are really old school, but I promise they will get you moving. If you don’t already have these gems, use our affiliate links to add them to your collection.
- When I Grow Upby The Pussycat DollsYeah, I’m not afraid to admit it, I love them. Maybe I do want to be famous and have groupies.
- Maniacby Michael Sembellofrom the Flashdance soundtrack The elliptical trainer is kind of like the dance scene, right? Now all I need is the leg warmers.
- Proud Maryby Tina TurnerI am so tempted to do the “Big Wheel” dance when no one is around.
- Shirleyby L7One of my favorite lyrics of all time. Announcer: “What’s a beautiful girl doing in a place like this?” Shirley: “ Winning.”
- Rhythm Is A Dancerby Snap!Totally old school, but it makes you move.
- Hung Upby MadonnaIt doesn’t hurt that there’s an ABBA sample. I love Madge and her leotard in the video.
- Don’t Stop The Musicby RihannaI always picture myself getting hot and sweaty in some trendy club, showing of the hot body I am training on the stationary bike.
- Closerby Ne-YoHow does he grab me like that? Love, love, love this song.
- What You Waiting For?by Gwen StefaniReally what are you waiting for? You’re still a super hot female!
- All Hail Meby Veruca SaltI heard this song again on Pandora recently. I forgot how much I liked it. I think it’s time to add it back to my playlist!
Enjoy and look us up next month for some new inspiration. In the meantime, share your favorite cardio song with us by posting a comment