Post by Pamela Hernandez
In our busy go – go world lunch is often eaten on the run. I am guilty of driving down the highway squirting the hummus from my GoPicnic meal straight into my mouth because putting it on a cracker would leave me with no hands for the wheel. Safety first, right?
Or we eat at our desks. I am guilty of this too. I might be writing a blog post (I promise I have both hands on the keyboard writing this one) or checking Facebook while I eat lunch.
While neither of these situations is ideal, we have do need to fuel when and where we can. What I don't want you to do is:
- Rely on food you purchase via the drive up window.
- Skip lunch because you can’t get to a healthy option.
Instead I want you to do a little prep work and make sure you have proper fuel for the day. Eating a protein rich meal midday without starchy carbs will make you more productive and alert for the afternoon. Skipping lunch will just leave you hangry my quick and easy dinners and have some leftovers? If not, try one of these options to keep you fueled for the day.
- Need lunch for the a few days or for more than one person? Try this lovely Farmer’s Market Quinoa Salad by my friend Grace at The Nude Foodie. It’s a perfect time of year to take advantage of the fresh vegetables available for this easy meal.
- I like tacos. I don’t like the mess on my desk. My Take Away Taco Bowl allows me to enjoy some spicy goodness without most of it ending up on my lap. It’s easy to assemble too!
- If am working from home I love a good omelet. My recipe is super easy and can easily be adapted to any taste and whatever vegetables you have at home.
- When I’m out and about GoPicnic meals are my easy button. It’s not unusual for me to take a lunch break at Barnes & Noble with a cup of tea, a hummus GoPicnic and the latest issue of Vogue.
- If I need to meet a friend for lunch I often suggest Panera. I know I can make better a "better for me" choice there. Their ingredients are fresher than most chains and they put all the calories on the menu board for you. My go to is the You Pick Two with a cup of Black Bean soup and half a Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich.
Where do you do lunch on the go? What better for you fast food option did I miss?
Posted on August 29th, 2013